Tuesday, December 23, 2014

A Much Needed Break

By Ethan Brammier

We finally made it through the fall semester to Christmas break.  Although it may seem like a long break, 37 days to be exact, we’ll be back in school before you know it.  During my early undergraduate years I always use to play video games and watch TV during my Christmas breaks.  It wasn’t until my junior and senior year I put an end to that.  When I finally realized I wasn’t accomplishing anything doing those things, I started to do something productive. 
            During my Christmas breaks in the last 2 years I have worked 8 hours a day, either construction or at an architecture firm, but I would have 6-7 hours in the evening to do whatever I wanted.  Instead of lounging around and doing nothing I have built furniture, gone hunting, and drew up plans for family members wanting to renovate.  Of course I did go out on the weekends and watch TV every now and then, but not every single hour of the day like I use to. 
            This Christmas break I had the option of not working at all but I knew if I didn’t work I would be bored out of my mind within a week.  I was lucky enough to be given the opportunity of working at a local firm my first week of break and working construction for my uncle’s company the remainder of break.  Another task I plan on completing before spring semester will be to put my portfolio on the web.   I also plan on applying for jobs all across the country once my online portfolio is complete.  I figured I might as well apply now because school will be so busy between January and graduation that I won’t find the time to do it then. 

            My last job I plan on doing before break is over is to make plans and model a new kitchen renovation for my parents.  Once I started going to school for architecture, it seems my parents all of a sudden what to renovate every room in their house.  I can’t imagine it would be because I can design it all for no charge.  Well that actually may be part of it, but I really don’t mind.  It gives me the chance to gain experience and continue doing something that will help with my school work.  It will be a miracle if I accomplish everything I plan on doing over break but I’d rather set the bar high so I can strive to finish everything I want to do.  In my next blog I will share my online portfolio and talk about all of the Architecture firms I applied to.  

No comments:

Post a Comment